Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"The Family is a Haven in a Heartless World"

The children of Infinite Family lead very rough lives. They they live in orphanages and shacks. They eat meager meals shared by many children and very few adults. They try their hardest to make their few clothes look fresh and clean. They have big dreams and very few resources for making those dreams a reality.

Infinite Family attempts to make their lives less lonely by supporting the children with video mentors who share special one-on-one time with them every week.

But in the interim, the long hours in between those video conversations, Infinite Family hires community workers that we call Net Fundis. The Fundis share the same lives as the children, living in the same rough circumstances. Our Fundis are there for the children every day because of their big-hearted commitment to our Net Buddies who otherwise have very few consistent, caring adults in their lives.

To give you insight into how special our Fundi's are, I'd like to share with you a recent blog post that one of our Fundis posted on our internet platform, the Ezomndeni Net.


CHANGE MY LIFE

ALL THIS TIME I WAS THINKING THAT BEING A NET FUNDI WAS ABOUT REMINDING THE NET BUDDIES TO CHECK AND SEND EMAILS, TO WRITE THEIR BLOGS, TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY ATTEND THEIR VCS ON TIME.

THEN ONE LITTLE NET BUDDY JUST CHANGED THAT. SHE SENT ME AN EMAIL. I READ IT AND I CHECKED HER PROFILE AND BLOGS ON THE EZOMNDENI NET. THEN I REALIZED HOW MUCH I'VE BEEN MISSING.

I JOINED FACEBOOK BECAUSE I WAS NEEDING A FRIEND, SISTER, BROTHER...SOMEONE TO TALK TO. I DID NOT THINK THAT I WOULD HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO FIND THAT PERSON HERE AT INFINITE FAMILY.

I LOOKED AT THE NAME INFINITE FAMILY AS ANY ORDINARY NAME, BUT THE MESSAGE WHICH IS CLEAR IS THAT I HAVE A FAMILY HERE. I AM NOT ALONE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH MY BABY SISTER, MARUTLA. YOU ARE THE NET BUDDY WHO OPENED MY EYES.


We hope that the words of our Net Fundi, Hlengiwe, will touch your heart and encourage you to be part of Infinite Family, a haven for so many struggling with the stigma of HIV/AIDS and poverty, who are looking for family in a heartless world.

Visit our website today to apply as a mentor or to donate to the work that supports Hlengiwe as a Net Fundi.

www.infinitefamily.org

No comments: